The Victorian Electoral Commission is an independent and impartial statutory authority established under Victoria's Electoral Act 2002.
The VEC conducts Victorian State elections, local council elections, certain statutory elections and polls, and commercial and community elections.
The VEC also conducts boundary reviews, maintains the Victorian electoral enrolment register, conducts electoral research, provides education services, and works to engage all Victorians who are entitled to vote in the democratic process.
All Victorians actively participating in their democracy.
To deliver high quality, accessible electoral services with innovation, integrity and independence.
- Independence: acting with impartiality and integrity
- Accountability: transparent reporting and effective stewardship of resources
- Innovation: shaping our future through creativity and leadership
- Respect: consideration of self, others and the environment
- Collaboration: working as a team with partners and communities
- VEC Strategic Plan 2013-14 to 2017-18 (PDF, 345kB)
- VEC Strategic Plan 2013-14 to 2017-18 (Word, 534kB)
Accountability is a core value of the VEC. In-depth annual reports are produced every year to ensure we are a responsible corporate citizen.
Please find the details at Annual reports.
Customer service charter
The duties of the VEC are defined by several pieces of legislation, including the Constitution Act 1975, Electoral Act 2002, Local Government Act 1989 and Infringements Act 2006. See Legislation for more information.
Freedom of information
The Freedom of Information Act (1982) gives you the right to request documents held by the VEC. Read more at Freedom of Information.
The VEC is committed to reducing the environmental impact of its activities and is making real progress in meeting its objectives. See Environment for more information.
The Electoral Commissioner
On 29 April 2013, Warwick Gately AM was appointed as the Electoral Commissioner for Victoria. Find out more about Victoria's Electoral Commissioner.
Phone, address and other key contact details are on our Contact page.