Do I have to enrol?

By law, you must enrol and vote for the address you live at if you:

  • are an Australian citizen or qualified British subject*
  • are 18 years or older
  • have lived at your current address in Victoria for at least one month.

*Qualified British subjects are those who were on an Australian electoral roll between 26 October 1983 and 26 January 1984.

Updating your details

You must update your enrolment details if you change any of the following:

  • your name
  • your postal address
  • your residential address.

If you have moved house, you must update your enrolment after 30 days of being at your new address.

You can complete this process online at Enrol, check or update details

If you do not complete a new enrolment form when your enrolment details change:

  • your name may be removed from the roll
  • you risk being fined
  • you may not be able to vote
  • you may have to vote for your old address.

Direct enrolment

The Electoral Act 2002 allows the VEC to directly enrol eligible citizens.

To directly enrol citizens, the VEC obtains data from agencies such as VicRoads, the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and the Australian Electoral Commission.

The eligibility of electors is determined using information provided by the Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

If we receive information that you have moved house and have not enrolled or updated your enrolment details, we will write to you. We will ask if there is any reason why you should not be directly enrolled. If we do not receive a reply, we will directly enrol you.

Can I be removed from the roll?

People can be removed from the roll if certain conditions apply:

Someone has passed away

We receive a notification when a death certificate is issued within Australia.

If the death occurred outside Australia, a death certificate will be required. You can send the certificate to the VEC by post or email.

If the person has recently passed away and you are aware of an upcoming election, you can contact us by email to and we can note it on our records.

You will need to provide the following information:

  1. your full name
  2. your address
  3. your relationship to deceased
  4. your contact number
  5. their full name
  6. their enrolled address
  7. their date of birth
  8. the date of their death
  9. the location of their death

Someone is serving a prison sentence

Anyone serving a prison sentence of five or more years is removed from the roll and is eligible to re-enrol upon release. If a person is serving a prison sentence of three to five years, they are removed from the Federal roll but not the State roll. They are still enrolled and entitled to vote in State and local council elections, but will need to re-enrol upon release to participate in Federal elections.

Someone is incapable

You can apply to remove a person's name from the roll if that person is incapable of understanding the nature and significance of enrolment and voting. Their doctor must verify this by completing a No longer capable Further information is available below:

Someone has incorrect or inaccurate details

A person can be removed from the roll if they are enrolled for an address that is not their principal place of residence. In most cases this is because they have changed their address and have not updated their enrolment. This makes them ineligible to vote and they may face a fine.