Enrolling for local council elections

Local council elections are important because you are voting for the people who will make decisions regarding your local community.

How do I enrol for council elections?

The electoral roll for a council election is made up of two parts:

  • State enrolled voters and
  • council enrolled voters.

Under the Local Government Act 1989, you must vote for your main place of residence (State enrolment) and can choose to vote for property you own in another municipality (council enrolment)*.

* Melbourne City Council is an exception. You must vote for any investment property located within the City of Melbourne.

You are only entitled to one vote in any single municipality. If you own multiple properties in a single municipality, for example, you still only vote once in that municipalitys' elections.

When you enrol for State and Federal elections, you are automatically enrolled on the council roll for the municipality in which you live - as this is your main place of residence.

Council voters are automatically enrolled if they own property in a municipality, live in another municipality, and are the first or second-named ratepayer for that property.

Multiple property owners are entitled to vote for only one property in a municipality; the property is determined by the council unless application is made to council to specify a particular property.

If you are not automatically enrolled, you can apply to enrol at council elections if you:

  • are not an Australian citizen but are a resident ratepayer in your municipality or
  • pay council rates on a property you occupy and have no other voting entitlement in the municipality. You must either be receiving the rates notice or have the written consent of the owner to vote in their place or
  • are a director or company secretary of a corporation that pays rates to the council and you have no other voting entitlement within the municipality.

To enrol for council elections under these circumstances you must contact your local council (external link).