Extension of time to pay

If you are having difficulty paying an infringement on time, you may be able to get an extension.

Contact the agency who issued the infringement to you directly to find out if you are eligible.

When is an extension of time possible?

If you're an individual or a company you can apply for a payment extension for your outstanding fine.

Your application may be assessed based on your:

  • outstanding fine amount
  • income
  • financial status
  • payment history and,
  • any hardship that you are experiencing.

You may be eligible for an extension of time when you have one of the following:

  • Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Pensioner Concession Card or Gold Card
  • Centrelink Health Care Card (all types including non-means tested).

If you do not hold one of these cards, the agency who issued you the infringement may still be able to provide you with an extension. The agency will make the decision based on the information that you will provide, so it is best to advise the agency if you are experiencing financial difficulties and offer any evidence that you have available.

When is an extension of time not possible?

An extension of time is not possible:

  • if the infringement penalty is registered with the Director, Fines Victoria, and
  • a notice of final demand has been issued.

Applying for an extension of time

If you would like to apply for an extension of time, you can do so by contacting the agency who issued the fine directly.

You may call 1300 551 575 if you wish to speak to a customer service representative.