Legal assistance

If you need legal or financial assistance during any stage of the infringements process, there a number of organisations that may be able to help. These organisations are listed below. Alternatively, you can contact your lawyer.

Note: You may be assessed for your eligibility to access these services.

Legal advice

Victoria Legal Aid

The Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) provides a legal information service, including free legal information in English and other languages. The VLA’s head office is located at 350 Queen St, Melbourne and it also has a number of suburban and regional offices.

For free legal information you can call 1300 792 387, or visit VLA (external link).

For all other enquiries, please call the VLA switchboard on (03) 9269 0234.

Federation of Community Legal Centres

Community Legal Centres (CLCs) are independent community organisations that provide free legal information, initial advice and in some cases ongoing assistance. There are more than 50 CLCs located throughout Victoria.

To find the CLC closest to you, call (03) 9652 1500, email: or visit Federation of Community Legal Centres (external link).

The Law Institute of Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) offers a referral service for those seeking legal advice. You can call LIV on (03) 9607 9311, email: or visit LIV (external link).

Justice Connect

Justice Connect arranges for members of the private legal profession to provide free legal assistance to the community. To find out more about this service call (03) 8636 4400 or visit Justice Connect (external link).

Justice Connect Homeless Law provides legal help to people experiencing homelessness, including specialist advice in relation to infringements. Call 1800 606 313.

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service Centre (VALS)

VALS provides legal aid and assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. VALS’ head office is in Melbourne and there are eight regional offices in Bairnsdale, Ballarat, Geelong, Heywood, Mildura, Morwell, Shepparton and Swan Hill.

For more information, VALS has a 24-hour phone service that you can call on (03) 9418 5999 or 1800 064 865 (toll free). You can also email: or visit VALS (external link).


YouthLaw provides free legal advice, information and casework to young people up to the age of 25.

You can visit their centre at Frontyard Youth Services, 19 King Street, Melbourne between 2.00 pm and 5.00 pm on weekdays. For more information, you can call (03) 9611 2412, email: or visit YouthLaw (external link).

Financial advice

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Financial counsellors provide advice about your financial situation, the options you have, and the consequences of those options. They can assist you to deal with any outstanding infringement matters. There are free financial counsellors in most suburbs and regional areas.

To find your nearest financial counsellor call the Consumer Affairs Victoria Helpline on 1300 558 181 or visit the Victorian Consumer & Business Centre at 121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne.


MoneyHelp offers free, confidential financial advice. You can get practical information including a simple budget planner, debt payment options, how to approach creditors, and handy tips and tools to help you sort out your money.

For more information about MoneyHelp, you can visit MoneyHelp (external link) or call the advice line on 1800 007 007.