Thursday 19 October 2023
For immediate release
Candidate nominations for the Maroondah City Council, Barngeong Ward by-election open on Thursday 26 October.
'If you want to represent your local community, I encourage you to nominate,’ Election Manager Sandi Miller said. ‘You’ll need to lodge your nomination in person during the nomination period.'
Prospective candidates should make an appointment to submit their nomination form and pay the $250 fee in person during business hours.
'You can call 03 9678 1488 from Wednesday 25 October to make a nomination appointment,' Ms Miller added. 'You can also start your nomination online using the Candidate Helper tool at candidatehelper.vec.vic.gov.au to save time.'
The election office will be open on weekdays from Wednesday 25 October to Friday 1 December at:
- Old Maroondah Council Offices, 304A Maroondah Hwy (access via Braeside Ave), Ringwood.
Nominations close at 12 noon on Tuesday 31 October. Late nominations will not be accepted.
Candidate kits containing information on nominating are available by calling the election manager on 03 9678 1488.
More information on nominating is available at vec.vic.gov.au
To nominate, a person must:
- be enrolled as a voter for Maroondah City Council (this includes council-enrolled voters who are non-residents)
- be an Australian citizen or qualified British subject (a British subject who was on an Australian electoral roll at the start of 1984)
- be eligible to become a councillor if they are elected
- have completed the mandatory candidate training before lodging their nomination with the election manager
- not be otherwise disqualified under the Local Government Act 2020 (the Act).
More information is available at vec.vic.gov.au
Candidates can download a copy of the Candidate Handbook from the website, which includes requirements and responsibilities of nominating.
The elected candidate will represent their community on the council until the next general election in 2024.
The Act requires candidates to complete online local government candidate training before nominating. All candidates must complete this training.
More information is available from Local Government Victoria at localgovernment.vic.gov.au
The Maroondah City Council, Barngeong Ward by-election will be conducted entirely by post. Ballot packs will be mailed to all enrolled voters from Tuesday 14 November, with election day on Saturday 2 December.
Voters will receive a ballot pack with a ballot paper listing the candidates in Barngeong Ward.
Voting is compulsory for voters who were on the state roll for this election at 4 pm on Friday 6 October. State-enrolled voters who don’t vote may be fined. Council-enrolled voters are encouraged to vote but will not be fined if they don’t vote.