Wednesday 11 October 2023
For immediate release
Throughout 2023–24, 39 Victorian local councils are undergoing electoral structure reviews. From next week, preliminary reports will begin to be released for the 11 councils under review in round 3 of the program.
The Local Government Act 2020 introduced several changes, including that all metropolitan, interface and regional city councils must now have single-councillor ward electoral structures.
The reviews are conducted by 2 electoral representation advisory panels appointed by the Minister for Local Government to make a recommendation to the minister on electoral structures for councils under review.
While all round 3 councils must move to single-councillor ward electoral structures under the Act, the panels are considering the appropriate number of councillors and wards for each council, the location of ward boundaries, and ward names.
The Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) provides technical and administrative support to the panels.
The 11 councils in round 3 have been divided into 3 groups, with 3 or 4 councils in each group. For each group of councils, there will be public information sessions to announce the reviews, explain the processes, and open the submissions period.
The panels encourage all Victorians, particularly those in the local council areas under review, to contribute to the review process and have their say.
People interested in making a response submission to the preliminary report can map the ward boundaries for their proposed electoral structure online using the public submission tool available on the VEC website as part of their submission.
Electoral representation advisory panel members
- The Hon. Frank Vincent AO KC – Chair
- Ms Liz Williams PSM
- Mr Sven Bluemmel – Electoral Commissioner
- Ms Julie Eisenbise – Chair
- Mr Tim Presnell
- Ms Dana Fleming – Deputy Electoral Commissioner (delegate of Electoral Commissioner)
Additional members’ pool
The following members may act as substitutes for either panel:
- Ms Prue Digby
- Ms Janet Dore
- Ms Louise Martin
- Mr Kelvin Spiller.
Council review information
Group 8 councils
- Brimbank City Council
- Hobsons Bay City Council
- Merri-bek City Council
- Moonee Valley City Council
- Public information sessions: Monday 16 and Tuesday 17 October
- Preliminary report published and response submissions period opens: Wednesday 18 October
- Response submissions close: 5 pm on Wednesday 8 November
Group 9 councils
- Maribyrnong City Council
- Melton City Council
- Mornington Peninsula Shire Council
- Whittlesea City Council
- Public information sessions: Monday 23 and Tuesday 24 October
- Preliminary report published and response submissions period opens: Wednesday 25 October
- Response submissions close: 5 pm on Wednesday 15 November
Group 10 councils
- Casey City Council
- Hume City Council
- Wyndham City Council
- Public information sessions: Monday 30 and Tuesday 31 October
- Preliminary report published and response submissions period opens: Wednesday 1 November
- Response submissions close: 5 pm on Wednesday 22 November
When reporting on the electoral structure reviews, please attribute them to the Electoral Representation Advisory Panel, not the VEC.
This panel is appointed by the Minister for Local Government to advise on the most suitable electoral structure for councils that need to be reviewed.
Although the VEC provides administrative and technical support to the panel it is not responsible for conducting the reviews or appointing the panel members.