Monday 21 December 2020
For immediate release
The following political parties were re-registered under Victorian electoral law on Friday 18 December:
- Derryn Hinch’s Justice Party
- Health Australia Party
- Victorian Socialists
As required by section 58A of the Electoral Act 2002, Victoria’s registered political parties applied for re-registration with the Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) between August and October 2020.
To be registered, a party has to have at least 500 members on the Victorian electoral roll. The VEC confirmed this by writing to the members whose names were provided by the parties.
As a registered political party, these parties will continue to:
- have the party name printed next to its endorsed candidates’ names on ballot papers
- be able to nominate all its candidates centrally with the VEC instead of with individual election managers
- be entitled to public funding (if it gains enough votes), and
- be entitled to enrolment information (which it can only use for specified purposes)