Thursday 6 October 2022
For immediate release
The New Democrats were registered as a political party under Victorian electoral law today.
The party applied for registration on Thursday 28 July 2022. As required by section 49 of the Electoral Act 2002, the Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) advertised the application and invited objections. No objections were received.
To be registered, a party has to have at least 500 members on the Victorian electoral roll. The VEC confirmed this by writing to the members whose names were provided by the New Democrats.
As a registered political party, the New Democrats:
- will have the party's name printed on State election ballot papers next to the names of the party's endorsed candidates
- will have the party logo printed next to its endorsed candidates’ names on the ballot papers as shown:
- can nominate all its candidates and register how-to-vote cards centrally, rather than individually with election managers
- is entitled to public funding based on the number of votes it receives at a State election
- entitled to access enrolment information, not including phone numbers or email address, which it can use for permitted purposes.