Congratulations to all teams involved in the 2021 YMCA Victoria Youth Parliament.
The young participants rose to the occasion magnificently, despite not being able to attend physically because of COVID-19 restrictions. The teams delivered an event filled with stirring debates and exciting results.
We are extraordinarily proud of the 5 teams we sponsored to attend Youth Parliament this year. Remarkably, they all had their bills passed after meaningful debate, some by overwhelming margins! The successful Bills and teams were:
- Implementing a mandatory LOTE Auslan Subject in Victorian Schools Bill 2021 (Deaf Victoria)
- Mandatory Reconciliation of Plans in Schools Bill 2021 (Oonah Yarra Ranges)
- Lowering the Age of Mental Health Confidentiality Bill 2021 (Tarneit Senior College)
- Raising the Age of Criminal Responsibility Bill 2021 (The Skyline Foundation)
- Compulsory First Nations Education in Victorian Schools Bill 2021 (Korin Gamadji Institute)
You can watch the publicly broadcast ceremonies and debates from the 2021 Youth Parliament on the YMCA Victoria's YouTube channel.
Congratulations once again to all participants.
Finally, we'd like to acknowledge the hard work of YMCA Victoria (staff, volunteers and the Youth Parliament taskforce) who coordinated this event. We look forward to collaborating on future projects and encourage everyone (teams and individuals) who may be interested to apply for Youth Parliament in 2022.
Contact us if you would like any advice or assistance in applying for next year's Youth Parliament.