Launched in December 2019, the VEC Disability Access and Inclusion Plan is now approaching the half-way mark. There are a total of 50 actions across four key areas: Access, Employment, Community and Changing Attitudes. So far, we have completed 18 actions, 20 are on track, eight are slightly delayed and four will commence during the second half of the plan. Some of the actions we have already achieved include:
- an evaluation and review of building access audit manuals for our Election Managers
- consultation with external access consultants to redesign the forms we use for building audits
- public-facing websites have been tested by end users during upgrades
- print and online publications have been made available in plain English and Easy English
- staff responsible for developing public-facing applications have completed a course in web accessibility guidelines
- the VEC culture has supported staff who have lived experience of disability to share their stories
- students with disabilities have participated in Youth Parliament.