For immediate release
State election info campaign kicks off today
A diverse cast of paper people will be hitting our screens from today, marking the start of the 2014 State election information campaign.
The TV ads form part of the Victorian Electoral Commission’s multi-channel communication campaign, which will deliver key messages throughout the election cycle to motivate voters to enrol and vote.
Electoral Commissioner Warwick Gately, AM, said: ‘The advertising creative aims to be appealing to a broad audience, but has been specifically designed to motivate younger voters to participate’.
Dubbed ‘close run’, every visual element of the campaign is made of paper to signify the ballot paper voting process. Each TV ad also incorporates real electoral statistics to demonstrate the difference that each vote can make, ending with the key message, ‘Your vote will help shape Victoria’.
Also launching today is the VEC’s newly improved, State election ready website.
Warwick Gately, AM, said: ‘Changes made to the website further embed the VEC’s commitment to equality at the ballot box.’
The website has been redeveloped to create a more positive experience for users in terms of ease of use and accessible information.
Accessibility features on the site include:
- Plain English content throughout, with Easy English explanations (developed in partnership with Scope) for critical information
- Translated content, audio files and interpreter assistance — available in 20 languages
- Open Dyslexic — a special weighted font to assist readers who are dyslexic
- AccessIN — a reporting service for people who use assistive technology that facilitates continuous improvements for the life of the website
- Readspeaker — text-to-speech technology.
The cast of paper people from the 2014 State election advertising campaign feature throughout the site.
– ENDS –
Communication, Education & Research Branch
Victorian Electoral Commission
Phone: (03) 8620 1190