Friday 21 November 2014
For immediate release
Auslan interpreters available for voter assistance
For the first time in Victoria, voters are benefiting from better access to information and services through the addition of Auslan interpreters and audio loop facilities at selected early voting centres.
The Auslan interpreters and audio loops are part of a pilot of expanded services available at six Accessibility Supercentres at this State election.
The Accessibility Supercentres are also equipped with electronically assisted voting facilities, talking boards for voters with communication difficulties, CCTV, magnifying sheets, large pencils, bilingual/multilingual election staff and full wheelchair access and accessible parking.
The Supercentres are located at:
- 18–36 Keilor Road, Essendon North
- Lot A Lakeside Boulevard (cnr Shearwater Drive), Pakenham
- 12–14 Nelson Road, Box Hill
- 34–36 Cowie Street, Geelong North
- 160–166 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood
- Unit 3, 311 Gillies Street, Wendouree
Accessibility Supercentres are only open during the early voting period, so voters wanting to access these services are urged to visit these centres during:
- Saturday 22 November, 9.00 am – 2.00 pm
- Monday 24 November to Friday 28 November, 8.30 am – 6.00 pm
- Thursday 27 November, 8.30 am – 8.00 pm
Details of all early and election day voting centres are available online at votingcentrelookup.vec.vic.gov.au, by calling 131 832, or on the Vote Victoria app — a free app now available from iTunes and Google Play stores. National Relay Service users should call 133 677 then ask for 03 8620 1100.
- ENDS -
Victorian Electoral Commission
Phone: (03) 8620 1190