Thursday 26 February 2015
For immediate release
Gippsland South District prepares for by-election
The electoral roll for the Gippsland South District by-election has closed with 40,649 electors on the roll. This is an increase of 408 electors since the 2014 State election.
Early voting commences Monday 2 March and will be available to electors unable to vote on election day, Saturday 14 March.
Early voting will be at 1 Church Street, Leongatha and 348 Raymond Street, Sale. Early voting centres will open between 8.30 am and 6.00 pm, Monday to Friday, until Friday 13 March. Both venues will be closed on Labour Day (Monday 9 March) but will have extended opening hours on:
- Saturday 7 March, 9.00 am to 2.00 pm
- Thursday 12 March, 8.30 am to 8.00 pm.
Those unable to vote early or on election day can apply for a postal vote. Postal vote applications are available:
- online at vec.vic.gov.au
- at any post office within Gippsland South District
- at the election office: 1 Church Street, Leongatha
- at the Warragul and Sale Australian Electoral Commission offices
- by calling 131 832.
Applications for postal votes must be received by 6.00 pm on Thursday 12 March and completed ballot papers must be in the mail or handed to a voting centre manager before 6.00 pm on election day, Saturday 14 March.
Voting in this by-election is compulsory for all electors enrolled in Gippsland South District.
- ENDS -
Notes to editors:
- There were 40,241 voters on the roll for Gippsland South District at the 2014 State election.
- There were 39,215 voters on the roll for Gippsland South District at the 2010 State election.
- Nominations closed at 12 noon today for party endorsed candidates and close at 12 noon tomorrow for independent candidates.
Victorian Electoral Commission
Phone: (03) 8620 1190