As the October elections will be conducted by post, voters are not required to attend a voting centre. We will post ballot packs to enrolled voters in early October.
In addition, we released a COVIDSafe plan on 18 August 2020 (updated 16 September) to ensure that the conduct of the 2020 local government elections will:
- be safe and accessible for all participants
- enable the successful management of the consequences of a COVID-19 outbreak
- comply with all State and Commonwealth directives to minimise or stop the spread of the disease.
Measures to safeguard voters, candidates and staff
We have closely monitored the advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer in developing the COVIDSafe election plan.
The following arrangements will apply at all election venues in the lead up to and during the local council elections:
Premises and hygiene
- A 4m2 density quotient and physical distancing of 1.5m will apply to all locations
- signage at entrances, arrival points and rooms to reinforce social distancing and good hygiene practice, as well as directional signage
- daily cleaning
- external party access to the office areas will be restricted to essential business only and in limited duration
- staff and visitor logs.
- Where possible, face-to-face meetings will be avoided
- alternative interaction methods such as videoconference, teleconference, pre-recorded video or audio briefings, train the trainer, education packs and supplementary written materials.
Staff and visitor attendance and behaviour
- All staff and visitors will register their attendance
- all staff and visitors will be subject to temperature checks and must wear a face covering
- to minimise the risk of exposure at work to COVID-19 all staff and visitors must practice good hygiene
- visitors who indicate they could be unwell will not be admitted to VEC premises.