Become a State election candidate

The State election is on Saturday 26 November.

If you wish to stand as a candidate in this election, nominations will:

  • open on Wednesday 2 November
  • close at 12 noon on Thursday 10 November for candidates endorsed by a registered political party
  • close at 12 noon on Friday 11 November for independent candidates.

To help you get prepared, read the 2022 State election candidate handbook and the scrutineer handbook.

A candidate kit, which includes nomination forms, will be available to download from this website in early October. You can also pick up hard copies at an election office from Wednesday 2 November.

Can I be a candidate?

To be a candidate for a State election you must be correctly enrolled in Victoria. You do not need to live in the district or region in which you are nominating.

You cannot nominate if you:

  • are not enrolled
  • are a judge of a court of Victoria
  • have been convicted or found guilty of an indictable offence with a prison term of 5 years or more, in a court in Victoria, Australia or any other part of the British Commonwealth
  • are an undischarged bankrupt
  • are a member of either House of the Commonwealth Parliament.

You can stand for election, but can't take office without resigning first if you are:

  • a local government councillor
  • a Victorian Public Service employee
  • an Australian Public Service employee.

You should consult your organisation's policies about standing for election and campaigning while in your role. For example, some organisations may require you to take leave of absence from your position.

If you have dual citizenship, you are eligible to nominate for a State election. If you're not sure if you're eligible to nominate, seek independent legal advice.

How to nominate

Candidate briefings

We invite anyone who wants to nominate as an independent candidate to attend an online briefing 2 pm on Sunday 30 October. More information on how to attend will available closer to the date.

We will also facilitate a cybersecurity briefing by the Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) for interested parties and candidates. This will be held online at 9 am on Wednesday 2 November. More information on how to join the briefing will be available closer to the time. 

Political donation laws

As soon as you publicly state your intention to stand as a candidate, political donations rules apply to you (even if you don't end up nominating).

A public statement can include but is not limited to:

  • posting on social media
  • advertising in a newspaper
  • distributing flyers
  • announcing it in a townhall or public space.

Political donation laws

Funding opportunities

Registered political parties, independent candidates, and independent elected members may be eligible to receive funding. The administration of public funding is regulated under the Electoral Act 2002.

Annual returns

Registered political parties, independent candidates, and independent elected members are required to submit an annual return to report on political expenditure. Annual returns are due each year on 20 October.

Annual returns

Ballot paper order

The position of each candidate on the ballot paper is determined by a computerised random draw after nominations close for an election.

Ballot paper positions for the Lower House (district) are decided in a single random draw.

Ballot paper positions for the Upper House (region) are randomly drawn in 3 phases:

  • the order of the groups above the line
  • the order of the candidates for each group (unless they have been already specified)
  • the order of independent (ungrouped) candidates.

The computerised draw software has been independently audited and certified, determining that the draw is completely random.

View the software component that generates the random order for the ballot.

Cost of nominating

Your nomination must be accompanied by a deposit of $350.

Your deposit must be either cash or a bank cheque made payable to 'Victorian Electoral Commission'.

We cannot accept personal cheques, credit or debit card payments, or money orders.

Deposits will be refunded if you:

  • are elected
  • receive at least 4% of first preference votes
  • retire before the close of nominations
  • die before 6 pm on election day, or are successful but die before being declared elected.

Can I start campaigning?

Yes. You can start campaigning at any time, even before you have officially nominated.

As soon as you publicly declare your intention to stand as a candidate, disclosure of political donations rules apply to you (even if you don’t end up nominating).

Learn more about campaigning

Getting a copy of the roll

You can access a free electronic copy of the electoral roll for the district or region that you’ve nominated in. Electoral roll data may only be used for purposes connected to your election campaign and monitoring the accuracy of information on the roll. Some of the permitted uses are:

  • to send electoral campaign material
  • for door-knocking campaigns
  • mail-merging letters.

We do not give out:

  • email addresses
  • phone numbers
  • details of silent electors.

Misuse of roll data is a serious offence. Strict penalties apply if you misuse the roll.

The close of roll for the 2022 State election is 8 pm on Tuesday 8 November. Candidates will receive a copy of the electoral roll via a secure file transfer method once processing is completed. We estimate the electoral roll will be provided to candidates by Monday 14 November. We will email candidates with instructions on how to access this information.