Annual returns

An annual return is a summary of money received and costs incurred in a financial year.

Who needs to provide an annual return?

  • registered political parties
  • independent candidates
  • groups of independent Legislative Council (Upper House) candidates
  • independent elected members (MPs)
  • associated entities
  • third-party campaigners
  • nominated entities.  

When are annual returns due?

Annual returns are due by 20 October each year.

Where can I find out more?

The following fact sheets are available to help you submit an annual return.

Record keeping

You must keep any records related to electoral expenditure, political expenditure, and donations.

You must keep these records for at least 4 years from:

  • the relevant election day (for any funding you receive from us)
  • the date of an online donation disclosure
  • the date you submit an annual return to us

Records must be kept in paper or electronic form. These records must be available if we require them. There are penalties for submitting false or misleading information.

Examples of related records include:

  • audit records, including statements and certificates
  • receipts
  • transaction records such as bank or credit card statements
  • deposit or cash books
  • receipt or acknowledgement books
  • financial journals or ledgers
  • payroll records.

You may need to keep these records for longer for other purposes, such as your tax obligations. You should consult a tax professional with any tax queries.

VEC Disclosures user guides