We administer funding payments to eligible:

  • political parties
  • independent Members of Parliament (MPs)
  • candidates.

These payments are indexed each year, based on the consumer price index (CPI).

Public funding

Public funding is available for independent candidates and eligible political parties.

You can receive funding if you:

  • receive at least 4% of first preference votes
  • are elected.

This funding is to cover some of the costs you incur when you nominate for a state election. The funds must be paid into your state campaign account.

What is a state campaign account?

A state campaign account is a bank account that all funding recipients must set up to receive their political donations and public funding.

All political expenditure must be paid from this account.

The state campaign account must be with an authorised deposit-taking institution. For more information, see the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) register of authorised deposit-taking institutions.

How to apply for public funding

You must provide us with a statement of expenditure 20 weeks after election day. This statement must also a have an audit certificate.

A statement of expenditure is a report that shows that the candidate or party has incurred costs in the election.

An audit certificate must be provided by an independent auditor.

Administrative expenditure funding

Administrative expenditure funding is public money paid to eligible independent and political party MPs.  

This funding can be used to pay for the general running costs of your office. This includes the cost of complying with funding and disclosure obligations. This funding cannot be used for a state election campaign.

Administrative expenditure funding must not be paid into your state campaign account.

Read our determination on what this funding can be used for.

Administrative expenditure funding return

If you or your party receive administrative expenditure funding you must provide an annual return for each calendar year. This must contain a statement of expenditure and audit certificate.

A statement of expenditure is a listing of your administrative costs for the calendar year.

Policy development funding

Policy development funding can be used to help you with the costs of developing your policy for state matters.

Registered political parties can receive policy development funding if they:

  • have been registered with us for the full calendar year, and
  • were not eligible for any other funding.

You must submit a statement of expenditure with an audit certificate before we will provide you with this funding. A statement of expenditure is a list what you have spent on policy development during the calendar year.

We will only reimburse you for what you have spent on policy development, even if you are entitled to more. If the amount on your statement is more than you are entitled to we will only provide you with the maximum entitlement amount.

How to apply for policy development funding

You must provide us with your statement of expenditure and audit certificate before 19 May 2024.

For more information or help to complete the application please contact us at

Record keeping

You must keep any records related to electoral expenditure, political expenditure, and donations.

You must keep these records for at least 4 years from:

  • the relevant election day (for any funding you receive from us)
  • the date of an online donation disclosure
  • the date you submit an annual return to us

Records must be kept in paper or electronic form. These records must be available if we require them. There are penalties for submitting false or misleading information.

Examples of related records include:

  • audit records, including statements and certificates
  • receipts
  • transaction records such as bank or credit card statements
  • deposit or cash books
  • receipt or acknowledgement books
  • financial journals or ledgers
  • payroll records.

You may need to keep these records for longer for other purposes, such as your tax obligations. You should consult a tax professional with any tax queries.