Victoria’s Electoral Act 2002 regulates political donations for State elections.
The following political donations are banned in Victorian State elections:
- foreign donations (donations may only be given by Australian citizens, residents or businesses*)
- anonymous donations of $1,040 or more.
* A business recognised by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
Disclosure rules at a glance
- Anyone who makes or receives a policital donation of $1,040 or more must disclose it using the VEC online disclosure system, VEC Disclosures, within 21 days or making or receiving the donation.
- There is a $4,160 limit on donations made and received within an election period (i.e. the period between State elections).
- Anyone who may receive a donation must open and maintain a dedicated State campaign account for donations.
These amounts are indexed according to CPI and will change on 1 July each year.
If you would like more information, are interested in attending a webinar or would like to receive updates, please sign up for funding and disclosure updates