Having staff who are politically neutral is critical to our impartiality.
Before offering you a job, we will ask you to disclose any political memberships and activities.
We are lawfully authorised to refuse employment to a person on the basis of political membership or activity.
Information we request
As part of the application process we will ask you to complete a form to disclose if you:
- are or have been a member of any political party in the State, Territory or Commonwealth in the past 15 years
- have been involved in a course of conduct within the past 15 years directed to supporting the aims of a political party or an independent candidate in a State, Territory or Federal election
- have been councillor for a Victorian council within the past 15 years
- have been involved in a course of conduct directed towards supporting the political aims of a Victorian councillor or candidate within the past 15 years
- have publicly engaged in conduct promoting a political position for an issue currently before the electorate in the election for which you are to be employed
- are a member of a lobby group (not being a union or professional association) that promotes a political position for an issue currently before the electorate in the election for which you are to be employed.
If you answer yes to any of the above
If you have engaged in any activity as described in points 1 or 2, you will automatically be excluded from a role at the VEC.
If you have engaged in any activity as described in points 3 to 6 you will be considered depending on:
- the role you have applied for
- the nature of the activity and its potential to compromise our independence and impartiality
- when the activity took place.
Request a review of a decision
If you have been rejected from a role at the VEC on political grounds, and you disagree with our decision, you may request a review. Make a written request to:
Level 11, 530 Collins Street,
Melbourne VIC 3000
The review will be made by the Commissioner. If the decision to refuse employment was made by the Commissioner, your matter will be referred to a member of the VEC's Audit Committee.
To request an external review of the decision process, or of a decision made by the VEC’s Audit Committee write to:
The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 5408
Melbourne Vic 3001
Tel: 1300 01 8228
If you are unsure if you may be prevented from working at the VEC, please call the key contact person in the job advertisement for advice.
You can also contact our Human Resources team on 131 832.