Enrol to vote

You must enrol to vote if you:

  • are an Australian citizen
  • are 18 or older
  • have lived in Victoria for longer than a month.

We operate a joint enrolment form with the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC). The button below will take you to the AEC's website to complete your enrolment.

Enrol to vote online

You can also download a hardcopy form.

Please note: Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic there may be some delays in processing enrolment updates.

If you wish to apply to become a silent elector due to you or your family being in immediate danger, please contact us on 1300 805 478.

You must enrol within 21 days of becoming eligible to vote in Victoria. You may be fined if you do not enrol or update your details within this time.

British subjects who were on an Australian electoral roll between 26 October 1983 and 26 January 1984 must also enrol and vote.

Special enrolment categories

  • I don't want my address on the roll for safety reasons

    If you believe your safety or your family's safety would be at risk by showing your address on the roll, you can apply to enrol as a 'silent elector'.

    Silent electors are voters whose addresses are not shown on any electoral roll. Each time you change your address, you still have to fill in a standard enrolment form but you will remain a silent elector for your new address.

    Each voter who is applying to become a silent elector must fill in a form. The form must be witnessed by an authorised person. The form has a list of who can be an authorised person.

    Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic there may be some delays in processing enrolment updates.

    If there is an imminent threat to your safety and you want your application to be considered urgently, you can contact us on 1300 805 478.

    Please note: becoming a silent elector will not apply to previous copies of the roll.

  • Living overseas

    If you have moved overseas and no longer wish to vote, you must let us know that you are no longer eligible to vote because you don't live in Victoria.

    You can submit an overseas notification form online via Check My Enrolment.

    Or download an overseas notification form.

    If you are living overseas but would like to continue to vote, you may be able to register as an eligible overseas voter. You can find more information about overseas voting on the AEC website.

  • I'm travelling

    If you are away from Victoria for a short time, you can complete an overseas or away from Victoria form online through Check My Enrolment.

    Or download our overseas notification form.

    By filling this form, you will let us know that you will not be able to vote in elections that may come up while you are away.

  • Moving interstate

    If you have moved interstate, you must update your enrolment with the AEC and they will notify us.

  • Enrolling at 17

    If you are 17 years old, you can enrol provisionally. You will then be automatically included on the roll when you turn 18.

    You will be entitled to vote if you are 18 on election day, even if you turn 18 after the close of rolls for an election.

    To enrol provisionally, fill out an enrolment form.

  • People with a cognitive disability or age-related illness

    You can ask someone you know to help you enrol.

    You can ask a support person, such as a friend, support worker or family member, to help you complete your enrolment form, or to complete your form for you.

    When you enrol, you need to sign the form. If you can't complete or sign the form, ask your support person to read the information further down this page, as they may be able to act on your behalf.

    For families, carers and supporters

    Many people in our community have difficulties with reading, writing, or understanding when it comes to enrolling and voting.

    With your assistance, they will be able to have their voice heard in an election.

    Our guide for families, carers and supporters of people with a cognitive impairment due to disabilities or age-related illnesses is full of tips and advice for helping someone you care for to enrol and vote in an election.

    Download guide

    Disability workers

    Service providers and carers play an important role in enabling people with disabilities to participate in elections.

    We can visit your organisation to:

    • run a free voter education session
    • speak with staff and carers about the importance of voting
    • look at electoral enrolment for people with disability
    • provide an overview of accessible services available during an election.

    To find out more or book a session contact our Education and Inclusion team on 131 832.

    Remove someone from the roll

    You can apply to remove a person from the roll if they are incapable of understanding the nature or significance of enrolling and voting.

    A medical practitioner (for example a doctor or a psychologist) must verify this by completing the medical certificate section on an objection form.

    Download an objection form (this link will take you to the Australian Electoral Commission's website)

    We then write to the person before removing them from the roll to give them an opportunity to contest the decision.

  • Enrolling without a home

    You can enrol using a No fixed address enrolment form if you are either:

    • experiencing homelessness
    • don't have access to safe and secure housing
    • temporarily travelling or working with no address to come back to.

    Using this form, you enrol for the address where:

    • you last lived for at least one month
    • one of your family is currently enrolled
    • you were born, if neither of the above apply
    • you have the closest connection, if none of the above apply.

    Find out more about enrolling without a home on the AEC website.

    Homelessness workers

    Our Homeless not Voteless program provides training to homelessness workers.

    We can visit community service agencies to:

    • speak with staff about our services and how to help clients to enrol to vote
    • run outreach sessions and ensure that clients who are eligible enrol to vote
    • provide voting services during a general election for people experiencing homelessness.

    To find out more or book a session contact our Education and Inclusion team on 131 832.

  • Direct enrolment

    Electoral law allows us to enrol or update your address on the electoral roll based on information we receive from other government agencies. This is called direct enrolment.

    We process and update enrolments using information from:

    • Australian Electoral Commission
    • Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages
    • Department of Justice and Community Safety
    • Department of Transport
    • Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority.

    We have a series of comprehensive checks in place to confirm if you are eligible to enrol and that you live at a particular address. Please be aware that this process will not affect everyone and it is still your responsibility to enrol and keep your enrolment up to date.

  • I need confirmation of my enrolled address

    Some organisations may request you to provide a confirmation of your enrolled address.

    You can search and print information about your current details through Check my enrolment.

    If you require additional information, you can request a letter of confirmation from us. To apply, email us your request. You must provide the following information:

    • your full name
    • current residential address
    • date of birth
    • contact phone number
    • the relevant dates and addresses you require confirmation for.

    We can only send a confirmation of enrolment letter:

    • to the applicant’s currently enrolled address
    • to the email address on our records.

    You may also collect the letter in person at our offices by showing photo ID.

    If your address has changed, or we do not have your email on record, please update your details before you make a request. 

    Check my enrolment

    Update my details

  • I cannot sign my name

    The enrolment form normally requires a person to sign the form.

    If you cannot sign your name because of physical incapacity, you can provide an enrolment form for people who are unable to sign.

    This allows another enrolled voter to sign on your behalf. It requires a medical certificate to be completed as evidence.

  • Enrolment for prisoners

    If you are serving a prison sentence under five years, you are still required to enrol for State and local council elections. You remain enrolled for your address at the time of your conviction. During an election, you will be able to vote by post.

    Enrol to vote or update your details as a prisoner in Victoria.

    More information (downloads)

    Enrolment and voting for prisoners brochure (PDF, 346 kB)

    Enrolment and voting for prisoners brochure (Word, 84 kB)

  • I'm working in Antarctica

    You can enrol as an Antarctic elector for the period you are working at a station there. You can remain enrolled for your address in Victoria and vote in that electorate.

    Enrol as an Antarctic elector with the AEC.

Have a question about your enrolment?

If you need help with your enrolment or have any questions about enrolling, contact our enrolment helpline:

Please note that we cannot update your enrolment over the phone.

Watch a video

Read the transcript

If you’re enrolling to vote for the first time, or you need to update your enrolment details, like your name or address, there are different ways you can do this.

You can go to the VEC website at vec.vic.gov.au and follow the instructions to enrol or update your details online.

If you would prefer to enrol or update your details using a paper form, you can do this too. You can download an enrolment form from the VEC website or call 131 832 to request to have one sent to you.

You should remember to update your enrolment details if your name or postal address changes. Remember, when you move house, you need to have lived in your home for 30 days before updating your enrolment and you must then update your details within 21 days.

If it’s your first time enrolling – because you recently turned 18, or maybe because you recently became an Australian citizen – congratulations! Voting in elections ensures a healthy democracy and being enrolled means you’ll be ready to have your say at election time.