We run major elections every two years. You can register for election work at any time.
Why work at elections?
Every person who works for the VEC contributes to delivering democracy to Victorians.
Election staff enjoy:
- competitive pay rates
- on the job training
- a unique working experience.
You do not need experience in elections to be considered for a role.
We want our elections workforce to reflect the diversity of Victoria. That’s why we encourage applications from:
- people living with disabilities
- people who speak a language in addition to English
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people.
There are two kinds of election roles
- work before, on and after election day
- work in election offices, early voting centres and mobile voting centres
- are paid an hourly rate.
- work in voting centres on election day
- make up more than half of the total election workforce
- are paid a package amount.
For more information about election roles, pay rates and duty statements, download our Employment guide for casuals and officials (PDF, 941 KB)
You can also refer to our Election Staff Positions infographic (PDF, 940 KB) for a quick overview.
Register your interest
We keep a list of casual staff who may be called upon to work during State and local council elections. There may be other casual roles in specific projects at the VEC head office. We hire for these roles on a case-by-case basis.
You only need to register once to be considered for roles at all future VEC-run elections.
If you have not worked for us before, and you want to be considered for election work, please register your details.
Please read the Disclosure of Political Activities information and ensure you have the details of two referees ready.
Registration does not guarantee that you will be offered a position.
Need to update your details?
You can log in to our staff portal to update your details or access your payment summaries at any time.
Our Personnel Helpline is available year-round to assist potential and existing election staff.
- Phone: 1300 783 043, weekdays 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Email us