Authorising local council election material

You can share your political opinions at any time – that’s part of a healthy democracy.

If you are sharing something that is considered 'electoral campaign material', you must authorise it. We'll explore what these terms mean and give examples of what is and isn't considered electoral campaign material.

These requirements apply to everyone at all times, not just candidates or during elections. They exist to:

  • enhance transparency by allowing everyone to know the origins of the electoral campaign material
  • allow someone to decide for themselves how much they value or trust the electoral campaign material.

It doesn't matter if there is an election happening or not, electoral campaign material must always be authorised.

The authorisation rules and requirements are different between state and local council elections. Learn about authorisation requirements for state elections.

Electoral campaign material

Electoral campaign material can take many forms, including:

  • a pamphlet, flyer, handbill, or notice
  • a billboard, poster, or sign
  • a how-to-vote card
  • paid or unpaid print, digital or online advertising
  • social media posts or profiles
  • websites
  • certain electronic communications, like SMS or emails.

Car stickers, items of clothing, lapel buttons and badges, fridge magnets, pens, pencils and balloons are not considered electoral campaign material, and they do not need to be authorised.

Television and radio

All electoral campaign material that appears on television and radio is regulated by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).

Please contact ACMA if you have any questions about the rules and regulations that apply to television and radio advertising.

Authorisation guidelines

To authorise something is to include your full name and address somewhere visible on the electoral campaign material – that's what forms the 'authorisation statement'.

The address can be a street address or a PO Box but cannot be an email address.

If you are unsure whether something is electoral campaign material, it is always better to authorise it.

More information

The Local Government Inspectorate is responsible for enforcing these rules and investigating breaches. Visit for more information.