You can campaign at any time, even before the official start of a State or local council election period.

When campaigning, consider the following:

  • All campaign material must be properly authorised so it is clear who is accountable for it. An authorisation statement must include a name and a street address. Campaign material includes advertising, social media accounts and websites.
  • All non-electoral laws, such as those relating to defamation, still apply.
  • You must not distribute material that is likely to mislead voters into voting incorrectly.
  • Disclosure of political donations rules apply in Victorian State elections.

How-to-vote cards

During an election, anyone can register a how-to-vote card. How-to-vote cards must represent formal votes (a correctly completed ballot paper).

Depending on the election, there are rules for when and where you can hand out how-to-vote cards.

State elections

During the hours of voting on election day, only registered how-to-vote cards may be handed out within 400 metres of voting centres.

How-to-vote cards distributed during the early voting period do not have to be registered but must be authorised. How-to-vote cards carried by mobile voting teams must be registered.

Local council attendance elections

During the hours of voting, only registered how-to-vote cards may be handed out within 400 metres of a voting centre on election day or at an early voting centre during the early voting period.

More information

For more information about your responsibilities you can: